History of the National University of La Plata
Meet the birth, progress and transformation of this prestigious and recognized educational institution, located in The City of Diagonal.
It was created in 1897 as a matter of Provincial University, through a decree issued by Governor William Udaondo in response to the needs of young people seeking to reach a scientific, technical and cultural.At the time the offer was reduced to only three faculties: Law, Fisicomatematica and Chemistry and School of Midwifery. Note that until 1905 the school worked in poor conditions due to lack of resources and materials for teaching elements.
That’s when Joaquin V. Gonzalez , Minister of Justice and Public Instruction’s Office, developed the idea of establishing a university in La Plata national. Thus, on 12 August that same year an agreement was signed between the Nation and the Province resulting in the founding of the UNLP . It emerged from the union of two important terms: the traditional interpretation of the word “university” as a natural setting of knowledge, and the idea of scientific knowledge of current pilot basis, in its various forms.
The financial resources constituted the beginning of the University were determined by the agreement, which established the transfer of the Museum, the Astronomical Observatory, Astronomy and the Faculty of Veterinary Practice School of Santa Catalina, the Institute of Arts and Crafts, field of the current National School and the University, the Normal School, the building of the Mortgage Bank and a number of houses and farms. On the side of the same material resources were obtained from the salvage of the Provincial University and other institutes of higher education already exist.
The University in the XXI century
With one hundred and five years of experience, continues to pioneer research and development of advanced culture and science (true example is its research quality, renowned museums , art activities, the academic level of students and graduates, among others). This has given him the reputation that places it among the largest in the country, the Americas and the world. Teaching, research and extension constitute the basic pillars of this University. Also known gain recognition for the entire community to represent a space where different branches of knowledge and creation.
The number of schools increased to reach the seventeen current, which implies a wide and varied and academic possibilities that range from traditional occupations to those that have high demand in the labor market. If we talk in more specific terms, the institutional video is displayed on the official site states that careers are available 105 and 154 the possible range of titles. Of those few students who were in prior to nationalization, today the number exceeds 90,000 and that in recent years increased by nearly 8 percent student enrollment according to statistics from the student management system used by public universities the country, a fact resulting from inclusion policies implemented and support for the retention of students.
According to the latest statistics, it is feasible to divide the student population according to each power source: Architecture and Urbanism 6,889 students, 11,106 Fine Arts, 1678 Agricultural and Forestry Sciences, Astronomy and Geophysics 392, 13,769 Economic Sciences, Legal Sciences 10,536 Social, Medical Sciences 5295, 2703 Natural Sciences and Museum, 3024 Veterinary Sciences, Humanities and Education 7357, 3567 Computer Engineering, 6693, 4011 Dentistry, 5548 Journalism and Social Communication, Psychology and Social Work 6938 1867. The University was able to become a school of reference, not only for themselves but also platenses students inside and outside the country. Complying exactly the characteristics required of an organization, managed to transcend the lives of its members and is looking for exciting challenges.