Living and studying in the United States is a dream opportunity and very charming, not only from the business. Prospective students who want to study in the United States but then do not intend to remain in the country after the completion of their program of study, will only need a simple student visa (type F-1, M-1). However, if you want to remain living in the United States indefinitely and study at a university, you must be a permanent resident, commonly called a green card holder. The process of acquiring a permanent resident card is not simple and is applicable only to persons who meet certain specific requirements with regard to their relationship with US citizens or permanent residents and employers, for example. Lets talk about how to live and study in the United States.

how to


1. Check the website of the ” US Citizenship and Immigration Services ‘(USCIS) to see if you are eligible to receive a permanent resident card. You must be a relative of a US citizen or permanent resident, have a job offer, have plans for a large investment or proof that you excel in your profession, be a refugee or an applicant for political asylum for more than a year or part of a number of special categories listed on the site.

2. Complete the form I-485, that is, the registration application for permanent residence. This module is essential if you want to get a green card. Please see the USCIS website for details.

3. Request an appointment with a consular officer. This goes for all those people who live outside of the United States and who need an immigrant visa to enter the country. As soon as your application for permanent residence will be accepted, you will be notified by the Embassy or Consulate of the United States.

4. Register your new permanent residence upon arrival in the United States to receive a green card, normally within 30 days. Otherwise, call the USCIS National Customer Service Center (1-800-375-5283) or make an appointment to get all the necessary information.

5. As a permanent resident, you have the right to study in any university or institution under the same conditions (tuition, benefits) that apply to citizens of the United States.

6. The “green card” can also be achieved through the Diversity Visa (DV) Lottery Program, commonly known as the “Green Card Lottery”, a kind of lottery where the prize is just a green card. However, in this case, the acquisition of the permanent residence depend on your luck.

7. Be accepted by an educational institution will not give you the automatic right to a green card, of course! The issuance of the permanent resident card goes beyond just study.