Can you introduce yourself in a few lines?

Jerome, 24 years – Student communication and multimedia creation. I am originally from the Rhone-Alpes region in France and I live in Ottawa (Ontario, Canada) since 2008. My story is rather unusual since I never had to go abroad (notes insufficient level of English is too low, quota already filled, etc.). I finally managed to slip through the cracks starting in Canada as part of an academic exchange of one year after which I decided to stay and live in Canada. I run moreover a blog dedicated to studies in Canada, approaches, and plenty of other information!

When did you leave Canada?

I went to Canada for the first time in August 2008 through the exchange program with ORA and a grant from the Rhone-Alpes region. I was supposed to resume my studies in France upon my return, but fate decided otherwise. I returned to Canada the following year with a working holiday permit for one year, after which I decided to finish my university education in Quebec as an international student. I am now waiting for a reply to my application for permanent residence.

What prompted you got to go?

I wanted to leave in Anglo-Saxon countries to improve my English, to travel and discover a new way of life. I also wanted to leave the beaten track to experience something out of the ordinary. Learn English immersion has always been my main source of motivation, unfortunately, from learning English abroad, you must already know how to speak and understand English at an intermediate level, which was not my case. For the record, I opted for courses in French in a bilingual Canadian university (it was my only option) and I discovered on the spot once registered, it is possible to change the language courses without language test. Something that I obviously made. : D


Steps to go and study in Ottawa

What were your steps before and once there?

Before departure must apply for a passport, visa / study permit or work , insurance, housing search and find a plane ticket. Once there you need to open a bank account, s include in their courses (for students) and to his CV, apply for a Social Insurance Number and find a job. To go on academic exchange, you must apply directly to the Head of International Relations of the University. For the PVT, simply apply at the Embassy of Canada through the application kit and instructions participation available on their website. To leave as an international student, you must apply for admission to a Canadian university, then get a CAQ (Quebec for studies) and a study permit.

Did you find difficult formalities?

Approaches are not necessarily difficult, they are mostly long and stressful because you have to spend hours reading the documentation and guides the Canadian university home, as well as the Embassy of Canada and Quebec. Unfortunately, nobody is there to take your hand and remind you to do this or that before departure or upon arrival. It is for this reason that I decided to create a practical guide to start in Canada.

How did you arrive?

I got off the plane at the airport in Toronto with a mixture of excitement and anxiety. I realized that I was released into the wild without being prepared for what was coming. After a week in Toronto, I took a bus to Ottawa where I started my search for housing for my hostel. I had a lot of difficulty speaking and understanding English during the first less, but I had the chance to meet people who have provided invaluable assistance during my installation.